To accomplish the ORS Office’s mission, a ORS Rapid Response Space Center initially co-located within the existing satellite assembly and test buildings at Kirtland AFB is envisioned to execute a significant number of the Tier 2 and 3 demands. The classification of the satellites and data could be unclassified to classified at the SCI level. The ORS Rapid Response Space Center will be tasked to:
- Meet urgent operational needs of the JFCs when needed, whether in days, weeks, or months by rapidly executing Tier 2 capabilities that were previously developed and qualified from industry outside of the Chile Works and executing Tier 3 capabilities that adapt existing Tier 2 inventory to accommodate unanticipated needs.
- Chose the relevant mission configuration
- Assemble and test satellite vehicle and compatibility with ground systems (from components, modules, or line replaceable units)
- Deliver satellite vehicle to launch site and provide technical support at launch site
- Deliver ground system control software/database to a satellite operations center
- Provide technical support during early on orbit checkout
- Maintain proficiency, inventory, and capability to meet the urgent needs
The functions and relations of the ORS community, mission partners, industry, and the Chile Works is depicted below in figure 1 and the Chile Works operational process flow is shown in figure 2.
There are four major phases associated with the Chile Works. First is the initial establishment of the capability (processes and equipment, procedures, initial inventory); second is establishing routine operations (maintenance, training, process improvement); third is supporting user training/planning functions (wargames, exercises); and fourth is responding to urgent needs.
To accomplish this, three major services or functions must occur within the Chile Works. The services/functions required are:
Systems Engineering and Integration (SE&I). The contractor shall be required to provide the necessary resources to staff, manage, and rapidly execute the following SE&I functions.
Integrated Logistics Support (ILS). The contractor shall be required to provide the necessary resources to staff, manage and rapidly execute the following ILS functions.
Assembly, Integration, and Test (AI&T). The contractor shall be required to provide the necessary resources to staff and rapidly execute the following AI&T functions.